Monday, July 12, 2004

Paap(Sins) and Punya/Anti Sins


This weekend I was thinking about Paap and Punya which is Sins and anti-Sins(?). I wondered why people devote so much of their life in praying to God, doing all that penance, starving themselves, indulging in all that self-denial. The thought of me being too loud an example of a soul having gone awry in this physical material world weighed too heavy on me. I started feeling too low of myself, so I began to study. And here is my final conclusion:
King Bhaageerath, the great King in Hindu mythology who prayed to God Bramha to get Goddess or 'Ma' Ganga on earth so that his forefathers could get the final peace, salvation.
So he did tapasya, penance, for half of his life. He denied himself food and water and stood on one leg all the time until God Bramha appeared. So his highness King Bhaageerath asked O Lord! I prayed for you for half of my life why did it take you so long to appear? God replied O my Son! All this time until now you have done tapasya with unwavering dedication. But listen. Your ancestors were great Kings. They did rule and many ruled without any mercy for the common man. Many did atrocities on the people. So they gathered Paap (sins). Till this time all the penance that you and your forefathers had done, all the Punya (brownie points, anti sins(!) ) that you all gathered were spent in counter balancing those sins. The day your Punya got more than sins by one unit of atomic measurement I appeared. King Bhaagerath understood so did I.

Since I do not have any balance sheet of how much punya or paap (sins) have been done before me, could be either way, but I don’t know. So if I now start doing tapasya (penance) then it could very well be the case that I do it for my rest of the life and none of the punya, brownie points that I earn actually help me get salvation. They all go to compensate for whatever paap was done by my forefathers, unless they were all saints (Oh! How hard I wish they would have been). So I grind my ass all my life denying myself all the worldly pleasure (read UFO) (read the second comment), all that masti, all that bindaas life ishtyle (what the fuck that ever means) and get nothing for myself. Gone are the days when Menakas danced around a hermit else even then,without all those punya's in my pocket, it would have been a better scenario, we could have killed as many birds with just one half of a stone!

So Baap bindaas jeene ka. Bhaad main gaya punya aur jahanuum main gaye paap!
Matlab To hell with paap and punya (brownie points).

As MunnaBhai MBBS said Aish kara nu, Majja nu life



1 comment:

Epiphany said...

Gud u decided against strtin tapasya.....even if all u'r fore fathers were saints...the probability of U balancing u'r sins nd thr anti...as low as u getin married.....so dnt evn think abt it!!